"The Nymphaeum", Temple of Minerva Medica, Rome.


ITEM SPECIFICS nº 1154:

The nymphaeum called the Temple of Minerva Medica (erroneously) is a ruin of late Imperial Rome, between the via Labicana and Aurelian Walls and just inside the line of the Anio Vetus. Once part of the Horti Liciniani on the Esquiline Hill, it now faces the modern Via Giolitti.
 In fact it is a nymphaeum, a building devoted to the nymphs and often connected to the water supply, that dates the 4th century. The decagonal structure in opus latericium is relatively well preserved, the full dome having collapsed only in 1828. It is surrounded on three sides with other chambers added at a later date. There is no mention of it in ancient literature or inscriptions.

Painted with the most quality watercolors by Juan Bosco.

Signed: JB ( Juan Bosco, the Painter of San Martin Arts & Crafts).

Total Pageviews