Stavropoleos church watercolor painting by Juan Bosco
11 by 8 inches (29.5 x 21 cm)
Stavropoleos Monastery, is an Eastern Orthodox monastery for nuns in central Bucharest, Romania. Its church is built in Brâncovenesc style. The patrons of the church are St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel.
The church was built in 1724, during the reign of Nicolae Mavrocordat (Prince of Wallachia), by archimandrite Ioanichie Stratonikeas.
In 1726 abbot Ioanichie was elected metropolitan of Stavropole and exarch of Caria. Since then the monastery he built is named Stavropoleos, after the name of the old seat.
The inn and the monastery's annexes were demolished at the end of 19th century. Over time the church suffered from earthquakes, which caused the dome to fall. The dome's paintings were restored at the beginning of the 20th century.
All that remains from the original monastery is the church, alongside a building from the beginning of the 20th century.
Painted with watercolors, chalk and pencil by Juan Bosco.
Signed: Juan Bosco JB